Sunday, October 30, 2011

Wellington for Rugby and Josh Miller's Birthday (Sept 23 and 24)


It is really strange to not be writing about break, but it is nice that it is FINALLY done. It was quite a daunting task. After break, I had to hit the ground running. I had two huge assignments due in the next week and ended up writing 24 pages in 4 days or something crazy like that. Never again please! When I was writing the papers and meeting with professor, I noticed a lot of cultural differences in terms of education and what is expected. It was fairly difficult for me and I did not do as well as I would have done in the States, but that is what Pass/Fail is for. Hurray!
The weekend of Sept 23 (I know I am still far behind), we went to Wellington for Josh’s birthday and to watch the Australia v. US rugby game. The tickets were expensive, but I knew I would kick myself if I was in New Zealand for the World Cup and did not go see a game. Sage, Josh, Marian, Magge, and I were planning on going, but then our Kiwi friend, Nic, decided to come too and Jen was going to meet us at the game. It was looking like it was going to be a great weekend. We made t-shirts a few days before, which is always an adventure, and got pumped for the game. 
We had planned the weekend so that we would leave Friday afternoon, arrive in Wellington a few hours before the game, get dinner and change, and then to the game. It all sounded great, in theory, but our bus was, once again, HOURS late, so we ended up not getting to Wellington until 30 minutes before kickoff. We raced to our hostel, changed, and hurried to the game. We ended up being about 15 minutes late, which was frustrating, but we were finally there, so it did not matter. There were tons of people reppin’ the States (because Kiwis always cheer for whoever is playing Australia), but we got creamed.  The final score was 5 to 66 or something crazy like that. There was also a streaker the last few minutes of the game, but security got on him really quick and he barely made it 15 feet. After the game, we went down to the field and got to meet some of the US players and by that I mean I saw them closer up, but was blocked by the questionably dressed Kiwi girls that wanted to “get some”. Rude. As we were walking back to our hostel, I recognized a guy who went to Whitworth a few years ago and was in my Spanish. It is a very small world!
The crew in US attire 
 We went back to our hostel and prepared to hit the town. I finally got to give Josh the Disarrono that we bought for him in Queenstown and that I carried it all around the South Island. There were tons of people out and everyone was so excited that we were American. That had definitely never happened before. Every 15 feet or so, someone would shout “USA! USA! USA!” at us. It was very surreal. We went to a lot of places and got back way too late.
Nic and I out on the town

I was exhausted the next morning, but we had to check out of our hostel early, so we were up and at ‘em. I do not remember a ton from the day because I was so tired, but we wandered around Wellington a lot and ate a lot of food (it was for Josh’s birthday after all). I found this amazing Christmas tea at a little teashop that I did not buy and I am still regretting it. Luckily my mom and I are going back, so that is number 1 Wellington activity on my list J. I did, however, buy the Love Spells book that I was eyeing the last time we were in Wellington. Please tell me to read some to you sometime. It will change your life and you laugh a lot! We napped in our hostel lounge, ate some more, and took the night bus back. We all slept like babies that night for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment