Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lots of free time and a teensy bit of class

Hello all!
Classes are in full swing this week and I am still trying to learn my way around.
I am taking Nga Tirohanga Rue o te Taha Hinengaro: Bicultural Perspectives in Psychology;
He Tirohanga o Mua: Maori Customs, Lore, and Economics;
and (no fancy Maori name) Organisational Psychology.
The class system is very different here. I only go to each class once for 2 hours of lecture a week. Two of my three classes also have tutorials, so I go to a discussion for the class for another hour or so once a week. I am in the classroom only 9 hours a week, compared to 18 hours at Whitworth. This system has thus far given me a lot of free time that I am not sure what to do with. I have caught up on all my readings and still find time to twiddle my thumbs. The few friends I have made are mostly science majors, so they have labs and are much busier than I am. It also costs money to use the internet, so I try to use it sparingly in my room. Kiwis are also generally standoffish, so attempts to make friends in my classes has been unsuccessful. I make all of my meals in my own flat kitchen, so I do not have opportunity to meet people in the dining hall either. It has been lonely the last few days and I am beginning to be discouraged about making Kiwi or other friends to spend all of my free time with. I know this feeling will change as the semester picks up, so I am trying to stay positive and put myself out there.
On a lighter note, my classes have been really interesting. I think I am going to enjoy this semester academically very much and I think I will learn a lot. I have been given such a great opportunity to study here and I am excited to make the most of it. I also went to a campus ministry BBQ last night and had a great time! I was the only American there, so it was a change from Orientation last week. I met some people and am going to church with them on Sunday. I hope this will be a venue for new friendships and intentional relationships. The Christian culture is different here as well and I am excited to explore what it looks like and learn from it.
I am trying to remember that this experience has a purpose, regardless of if I am "having fun" the whole time. I will be a better and wiser person because of all this and I have to have faith it will all be for good.

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa that's awesome about your classes! Keep your chin up about making friends my dear because you are the friendliest person I know and people would be crazy not to see that :) I think you're already a wiser person, kudos girl!

    ReplyDelete