Sunday, July 31, 2011

Clubbing, Bush Ball, and other fun things!

Hey all! 
It is my third week in New Zealand and I am finally beginning to feel like this is more than a vacation. I feel more settled. Though not much has changed, I think I have made more realistic goals and expectations of my time here. Because of this new outlook, I am more content with where I am in my relationships and in my studies. I have made a group of friends that I can be myself around, which is really encouraging. We all went out on Thursday because it is Student Night aka cheap drinks. There is a very different vibe in the bars and clubs in New Zealand compared to the US. There are a lot of guys and girls at the clubs, but they dance primarily separately. The guys go to the clubs to hang out with their guy friends. They fist pump and dance crazy, but just with each other. I am used to having to “throw ‘bows” all over the place to keep the guys away in America. When the guys do dance with girls, there is a respectful 6-inch distance. There was no grinding going on in the whole club! The strangest!! We also have to use our passports as IDs here, which is unfortunate, so Mama ‘Lyssa to the rescue. I wore my flesh-colored tourist “uterus pouch” (aka my money belt) and held our passports, so we did not need to bring coats. This meant that I had an attractive block on my stomach all night that we affectionately named “the cheese block”. The night was really fun and we are going to make it a weekly tradition.


We also went to the Bush Ball this weekend. The Alpine club, or outdoor rec club, put on the event. It entailed us driving two hours away from school and going on a three-hour tramp (hike) through the New Zealand forest to our hut. We hung out for a few hours and then dawned our formal attire and had a ball. There was dancing, drinking, and overall merriment. 
The only downside was that there was a 60-year-old couple and another older gentleman also staying at the hut. The three went away for a “quiet weekend alone”. They did not expect to be staying with 24 university students having a party. They seemed gracious about the whole event, but there were a few awkward moments where girls were trying to change and the old man was in the bunks. I mostly felt bad for the three having to put with us. After the festivities, we were all squished into the bunks, so no one got a lot of sleep. Unfortunately, this caused a few others and I to get sick. I am still under the weather, but hopefully will feel better soon. I am hoping to go to Wellington this weekend with a few friends, so I want to be in peak condition. My new philosophy is to do something great every weekend, because I am really not here for very long. Don’t worry Mom and Dad, this is all depending on if I get my school work done :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment