Thursday, September 15, 2011

Wellington (forever ago)

Hey all! I am really far behind on updating on my life. I am going to try to catch up over the next few days, but feel free to spread the reading out.

The weekend of August 20th and 21st my friends went to Wellington to celebrate Magge's birthday with her boyfriend who flew from America. We had planned to get into Wellington at 6 or so, explore, go to dinner, and then change to go out that night. Unfortunately, our bus into Wellington was 3 hours late, so we did not get to our hostel until 10 or so. We were all rather cranky and hungry, so we quickly dropped out stuff off and went to the closest restaurant, which happened to be Thai. We were all famished and the food was amazing!

We decided to go exploring then and hit a few bars. One of my flatmates is from Wellington, so she gave Sage and I a list of the place to go and not to go, but we left it in the hostel so we were just going to "wing it" the first night. None of us had changed, but we figured it would not be a big deal. We found this place called "The Big K" and decided it looked fun. After we were already inside, Sage told me that Charissa had specifically said not to go there. She was right. The bar was like an unsupervised high school dance. Everyone was really young and was dressed like they were at a high school dance. I had never seen anyone in a bowtie at a club until then. There were not that many people inside and it was too bright inside for the "activities" that were occurring. A few of us decided to make the best of it and go dance. Because I had not changed, however, I was in my gumboots (aka rain boots), but I felt no shame! I danced the night away in my gumboots and knew I was the least ridiculous looking person there, because at least I was not wearing a bowtie or a prom dress.
The next day we went to Te Papa, which is the biggest museum in New Zealand. It is 6 floors and we spent most of the day there. We explored to city the rest of the afternoon and went out that night. It was one of those "oh dear I am not at Whitworth anymore" sort of situations. I experienced adult "babysitting" for the first time. Overall it was fun and provided a lot of ammo to bring up the next day, but was not my favorite thing. We left the next morning and have plans to go again in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment